Monday, June 18, 2012

A French Connection

While I enjoy watching the actor Gene Hackman, I am afraid this post is not about The French Connection film he made in 1971.  This post is about a few things I have enjoyed lately that happen to have a French connection.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I moved to Germany while in High School.  I was there for several years, Sebastian was born on a small Army post in Nuernberg, Germany.  Spending time abroad as a young person definitely left a positive impression on me, one that lasts to this day.  I regret that I was not able to travel to France when I was in Europe.  I think that has helped to build the romance in my mind.  So now I take virtual tours on the Louvre website and dream of picnics under the Eiffel tower.
Speaking of picnics under the Eiffel tower, I got the idea from a blog I love called Oh, Happy Day!  The blog is owned by event planner Jordan Ferney.  I started reading it while she and her husband and two boys lived in Paris for a year.  Most of the photos are taken by her husband Paul and are stunning, I felt like I was transported.  Jordan's posts from Paris helped me to remember the best things about Europe.
They recently moved back to San Fransisco and they take us with them as they get reacquainted with the city. You can still read about their adventure by clicking the Paris tab at the top of the home page. This Paris section is packed full of great tips and fun places to visit along with photos showing this little family in action.  Because Jordan is an event planner, the blog also has a lot of cool ideas about putting together a gathering, celebration or photo booth.  Jordan also writes for Babble.com and she does a summary of her stories from there each week.  A very special blog for sure, I urge you to visit when you get a chance.  Here are a few photos from Paris from Oh, Happy Day!  











Next I want to share about a book I got as a gift for my Birthday.  A special person (who does not read this blog) gave it to me knowing that I would never get it for myself and I really appreciate that.  I learned about the book from a blog I mentioned before called DesignSponge;  it was featured a few months ago and is called The French Cat by Rachael Hale (Rachael's married name is McKenna, but her books are published under Hale). You may have heard of her or at least seen some of her pictures, Rachael Hale is a very popular photographer of super cute animals and babies. There is actually a website that offers books and items with her super cute photos here.  After years of capturing them in the studio, Rachael wanted to get out and photograph animals where they live.   I consider myself a dog person but I have never seen anything like this book. Rachael, her husband and baby moved to France and set out to capture photographs of animals in their natural environment.  Her first book from France is about cats and the photographs are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen.  Included are bits of information on the area in France and the cat being photographed.  There are also fantastic quotes and great behind the camera information.  Like how Rachael used a feather tied to a stick to get the cat's attention and lead him/her into better lighting (no zoom lens or photoshop used!!).  While it seems like an unlikely treasure, I continue to enjoy my cat book.  Her other book just came out The French Dog!  I am wishing on a star that someday it will be mine.  Hey it worked last time;)

The pictures below are all taken by Rachael Hale and are just a few from the original feature on DesignSponge Here. 






These pictures are of Rachael's notebooks, so detailed.

The last thing I have to mention in a French related post is a stretch, but work with me.  French Fries.  Yes, I know they have nothing to do with France and the French call them chips.  Anyway, you may remember my love of waffle fries from Chic-Fil-A.   I have not lost any love for them, I have just grown my love to include Smash Fries!  Recently our nearest Mall added a new restaurant called Smash Burger.  I had never heard of it, but word of mouth spread quickly about the special french fries sprinkled with rosemary, olive oil, garlic and a little salt---Smash Fries.  My knees go weak just thinking about them.  Give them a try if you get a chance.


Smashburger Sides
The fries in front are SmashFries! 
This photo is from the Smash Burger website.

Have a Monumental Monday!



**The views expressed here are mine.  I was not compensated in any way for my opinion.**   Although I would consider some type of fry payment plan;).


1 comment:

  1. I adore everything with a French connection too. I'm off to check out that blog you mentioned! Happy Monday. Enjoy some chick-fil-a for me. I'm nowhere near one. It is a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is! I appreciate your comment.