Sunday, August 26, 2012

Top Ten Movies: Stand By Me

Movie day is here.  So far our top ten movies (no order) are:

Coming to America

Lady Hawke

Joe Versus the Volcano

The Fifth Element

The Princess Bride

Today I am adding:

Photo Courtesy:   http://www.neatorama.com
Stand by Me
Film
Stand by Me is a 1986 American teen drama film directed by Rob Reiner. Based on the novella The Body by Stephen King, the film takes its title from the Ben E. King song of the same name, which plays over the end credits.Wikipedia
Cast
River Phoenix (Chris Chambers)
River Phoenix
Chris Chambers
Corey Feldman (Teddy Duchamp)
Corey Feldman
Teddy Duchamp
Wil Wheaton (Gordie Lachance)
Wil Wheaton
Gordie Lachance
Jerry O'Connell (Vern Tessio)
Jerry O'Connell
Vern Tessio
Kiefer Sutherland (Ace Merrill)
Kiefer Sutherland
Ace Merrill

Anyone of a certain age knows Stand By Me and remembers how funny, moving and sad the film is.  Then there is River Phoenix, it broke my heart when he died.  I saw the movie again a few days ago and his talent jumps out at you.  The other actors also give the performances of their lives in Stand By Me.  It came out when I was in just entering high school, so I was close enough to their age to feel the movie the way a kid does.
My brother, cousin and I would say the lines of the movie to each other and sing the songs.  Stand By Me left an indelible impression on my life so it is an easy top ten movie.

stand-by-me- on stylealchemy
Photo Courtesy:   http://stylealchemy.com

I don't like to tell about the story on my movie posts, but I can tell you that this story is more than meets the eye.  It is a movie about coming of age, but the story is ultimately about friendship.  What and who we love as children stays in our harts forever.  I know that is true.  My brother and I have had bumps in our relationship, but my love for him is based on those childhood moments when we faced fear together.  He saved me.  Those are the moments that I bring forward for comfort when I need it most.  Thank you, Ray.  I love you and want you to know that I think about you every day and remember.

Photo Courtesy:   stylealchemy.com

A few lines from the film:

"Seven cents Vern?"

"You guys wanna go see a dead body?"

"We ran all the way home, oh waa oh, just to say I'm sorry.  Sorry, ohhh."

"Gimme some skin."
"See ya."  
"Not if I see you first."

"Ha ha, Gordie loses! You lose Gordie! Ol' Gordie just screwed the pooch! "
"Does the word "retarded" mean anything to you? "
"Gordie, go get the food, you morphodite." 
"Don't call me any of your mother's pet names."
"You're a real wet end, Lachance."
"Shut up."
 "I don't shut up. I grow up. And when I look at you, I throw up. Aghhh! "
"And then your mom goes around the corner and she licks it up. "


"This is my age! I'm in the prime of my youth, and I'll only be young once!"
"Yeah, but you're gonna be stupid for the rest of your life. "


"What are you gonna do? Shoot us all?" 
"No, Ace. Just you." 


"Okay, you guys can go around if you want. I'm crossing here. And while you guys are dragging your candy asses half way across the state and back, I'll be waiting on the other side, relaxing with my thoughts." 
"You use your left hand or right hand for that? "


"Geez, Gordie. Why couldn't you have gotten breakfast stuff? Like Twinkies and Pez and Root Beer? "
"Sorry, Vern. I guess a more experienced shopper could have gotten more for your seven cents. "



Teddy is the wild one.
Photo Courtesy:   http://img685.imageshack.us
Ace was a true bad guy, played so well by Kiefer Sutherland.
Photo Courtesy:   ptsnob.com
Vern is the funniest.
Photo Courtesy:   http://www.ptsnob.com
The face of satisfaction.
Photo Courtesy:   411mania.com
I will always remember Chris Chambers.
Photo Courtesy:   http://heim.etherweave.com


I am having a great weekend, I hope you are too!

4 comments:

  1. Love this movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teared up seeing this post! Do you remember the buttons we made with the character names we chose for ourselves? What wonderful memories. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ole Gordy just ssrewed the pooch!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love John "Ace" Merrill Chambers Gordie and Teddy the looney (Clark "Mouth" in Goonies).

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is! I appreciate your comment.