Saturday, July 21, 2012

Top Ten Movies: Coming to America

Coming to America with Eddie Murphy is one of my top ten favorite movies of all time.  When I was in high school my dad (in the Air Force) received orders for us to move to Germany.  We didn't realize that you couldn't get American TV in Germany very easily at that time.  So we survived by watching videos.  We had a few of our own, but my dad also bought a box of videos from a soldier who was returning to the US.  I'm not sure if Coming to America was one of our own or from that box.  I just know that I've seen the movie about 100 times.

I can quote just about every line in the film.  Remember the part where Sam Jackson tries to rob the McDowell's restaurant?  Remember the barber shop?  "What is that, velvet?"  I could seriously go on forever giving lines from the movie.  "If you're really a prince I'll marry you."  "What happened to the rose petals?"  "I want a woman who is going to stimulate my intellect as well as my loins."


"Prepare the royal baggage."  "I am badly in need of a manicure."  "It's a shame what they did to that dog."

Photo courtesy IMDb
"I tied my own shoes once, it was an overrated experience."  Could James Earl Jones be any cooler?  


Coming to America
Coming to America is a 1988 comedy film directed by John Landis. The screenplay was written by David Sheffield and Barry W. Blaustein based on a story originally created by Art Buchwald. Wikipedia
Release dateJune 29, 1988 (USA)
DVD release dateMarch 9, 1999
RatingR (USA)
Cast
Eddie Murphy (Randy Watson)
Eddie Murphy
Randy Watson
Arsenio Hall (Semmi)
Arsenio Hall
Semmi
Shari Headley (Lisa McDowell)
Shari Headley
Lisa McDowell
James Earl Jones (King Jaffe Joffer)
James Earl Jones
King Jaffe Joffer
Eriq La Salle (Darryl Jenks)
Eriq La Salle
Darryl Jenks


Notice that the Wikipedia info has Eddie Murphy listed as Randy Watson.  That is so funny.  Remember Randy Watson is the singer for the band Sexual Chocolate.  


Photo courtesy Top 10 Films
"You all look so beautiful here tonight, give yourselves a round of applause."

The dance sequence that happens in the beginning is so beautiful.  I read that Paula Abdul helped with that number.

"Ah-hah.  Where's the spoon?"

Today I honor a funny movie that entertained me when I needed it most.  Thank you Eddie and Friends.


Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. It's late and just catching up on your blogs. I too loved that movie...the fact that Eddie Murphy played so many parts was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Tell it like it is! I appreciate your comment.